We understand that it can be tempting to skip the ground covering for your landscape beds, however, we highly recommend that you don't! Ground coverings aren't just to improve the aesthetics of your property; they actually do much more than that! Mulch and rock ground coverings protect the soil in your landscape beds from the extreme temperature changes we have here in Michigan. They also reduce soil erosion and weed growth, retain moisture, and add nutrients to your soil. What's not to love?
Investing in a ground covering, whether it be made out of mulch or rocks, is a great way to improve the quality of your landscape and make it easier to grow and maintain healthy plants.
What are ground coverings and how do you install them?
Ground coverings are layers of either mulch or rocks that are placed over the soil of your landscape beds. Utilizing ground coverings will make growing healthy plants a lot easier, as they protect your soil from the natural elements.
Most property owners think that installing ground coverings is as simple as dumping the mulch or rock over the soil and calling it a day. However, the installation process is a little bit more complex. To avoid suffocating your plants, you will want to pay attention to how much mulch or rock you are adding and how thick the layer is. You should also leave a little space between the base of each plant and the start of the ground covering to allow the circulation of air and water. We highly suggest hiring a professional team like ours to install your ground covering to ensure that your plants stay healthy under the extra layers.
How do mulch and rock benefit your landscape beds?
Mulch and rock both benefit your landscape beds and promote healthy plant growth. Some of their main benefits include:
- Soil Erosion Prevention - Strong natural elements like rain and wind will cause your soil to erode. However, if your soil is protected by a layer of mulch or rocks, it will be able to stay in place and continue providing nutrients to your plants.
- Weed Growth Prevention - Weeds need light to grow. A sufficient ground covering will block the sunlight from reaching your weed seeds, thus preventing their growth.
- Moisture Retention - Ground coverings will prevent the moisture in your soil from evaporating under the hot sun. This means that you won't have to water your plants as often!
- Temperature Regulation - We experience a lot of different temperatures here in Michigan. Normally, extreme hot or cold temperatures would harm your plants. However, with a ground covering, your soil will be protected and its temperature will be regulated.
- Additional Nutrients - Because mulch is made up of natural elements, it will decompose over time. Although this means that it will have to be refreshed annually, it also means that your soil will receive extra nutrients as the mulch breaks down.
Mulch often comes in brown, black, and red colors while rocks can come in a wider array of colors like blue, white, and gray.
Why are ground coverings necessary for your landscape beds?
Many homeowners think that ground coverings are an unnecessary expense, however, this is far from the truth! The benefits of mulch and rock ground coverings mean that you will have healthy, thriving plants as well as beautiful landscape beds. In fact, adding ground coverings now will save you money in the long run because you won't have to pay for damage control when your exposed soil is harmed due to the natural elements.
We offer mulch and rock ground covering installation. Call today to schedule!
We professionally install mulch and rock for both residential and commercial properties in Grand Rapids, Ada, Cascade, and surrounding areas in Michigan. If you're looking to have a ground covering added to your landscape beds, give us a call today at (616) 293-0361 to schedule our installation service!